So you want to join the #TakeAKnee movement, whether for yourself or in solidarity with your teammates? Take a moment to really think about what you are accomplishing by doing so. Do you think you are insulting President Trump – who, by the way, indicated that ANY football player, regardless of color, not standing during the national anthem should be fired – or sending a message that you are unhappy with the state of racial affairs and immigration in this country in the hopes of effecting change? Newsflash! You are accomplishing none of this!
Here is what you are accomplishing when you #TakeAKnee:
- You are insulting every man and woman who has served in our armed forces protecting this country with their lives so that you have the right to take that knee if you want to.
- You are insulting every man, woman, and child that has waited at home for their husbands, wives, daughters, sons, brothers, sisters, mothers, and fathers to come home after being sent to faraway lands to protect your way of life. And you are insulting the memory of every one of those soldiers that didn’t make it home.
- You are insulting the millions of Americans who feel a sense of pride and gratitude to live in a country where we have the rights we do. There are billions of people in this world that don’t have the freedoms we do because of what that flag represents.
- You are insulting the citizens of this country – half of the population – that voted for President Trump because they agree that America needs to be made great again. And because they, myself included, believe that our flag, and what it represents, deserves respect. Our country may not be perfect – there are many problems and injustices that plague us – but it’s a hell of a lot better than the alternatives.
- You are mistaking your job for your soapbox. You don’t go into McDonald’s to hear the cashier tell you his thoughts on racial inequality or foreign affairs. You expect that he or she will do their job by taking your order and serving you before telling you to, “Have a nice day.” You get paid millions of dollars to play football, baseball, basketball, etc. and not to express your personal beliefs or support a cause. When you are at work, do your job. Period. And nothing more. Fans of the game paid money to see you play the game and nothing else. So you are offending and alienating all those who want to come to a game or watch one on TV, without a side of politics. And those people are, for all intents and purposes, your customers. If they don’t pay to see the games or watch them on TV, the team owners don’t make money, which means they won’t be able to pay you the multi-millions you have become accustomed to.
- Sponsors may disappear as well because they pay you to represent their product and not to stump for your cause. I am writing this blog post in my free time which, incidentally, is the only time you should be discussing your beliefs and political leanings through word or deed. If you lose your job or sponsors or make less money as a result of your actions, stop complaining about it. Actions beget consequences so if you act, be prepared to accept what comes after. Because the American flag also gives those who choose to disrespect you, fire you, or boycott your games because of your actions, the right to do so. And considering football and baseball are as synonymous with America as apple pie, be prepared to lose fans.
- And finally, you are simply making an ass out of yourself.
So, you see, you have not accomplished anything you are trying to by not standing for our flag. Do you want to really make a difference? Get involved in your community. Get involved in the election process. Work to make sure that legislators, at both the state and federal levels, that support your cause and will fight for it are elected. Take real action instead of taking a knee. Because all you are really doing is showing how woefully ignorant and childish you are by doing what amounts to throwing a misguided tantrum.